Midwifery Training and Experience
My midwifery studies began through apprenticeship in Phoenix Arizona, in 1998. I moved to Texas in February
2001 to attend midwifery school at Maternidad La Luz in El Paso. My training took place in a very busy free
standing clinic/birth center. The birth center was staffed entirely by midwives and students where we cared for
women during various stages of pregnancy, labor, birth and postpartum. In addition to our obstetrical training
we also provided well women care.
Academic and clinical training were integrated, allowing hands on experience. The areas of study included,
nutrition, well woman care, physical exams, lactation assistance, maternal assessment, pelvimetry, lab work,
emergency skills, prenatal complications, neonatal resuscitation, newborn issues, suturing, water birth, unusual
birth presentations etc. During my training at MLL, I participated in over 180 births. I also attended hundreds
of prenatal exams and provided postnatal care for new mothers and their babies. I successfully completed the
advanced three year program in 2004.
I became an Arizona Licensed Midwife in October 2004 and opened Sunrise Midwifery. I have attended
over 300 births with 120 of those in a homebirth setting.
- Arizona Licensed Midwife, 2004
- Certified Professional Midwife, National Association of Registered Midwives 2004
- Maternidad La Luz Midwifery School and Birth Center 2001-2004
- Arizona Association of Midwives, Current Secretary 2012, former Vice President 2009
- Glendale Community College, Glendale, Arizona
- National College of Midwifery, Taos, New Mexico
- Graduate of The Doula’s of North America (DONA) Training Program Certified Doula, 1997
- Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Education, 1998
- Childbirth Education Instructor
- CPR / Neonatal Resuscitation Certification
- Phlebotomy Trained
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Featured Guest, KFNX Radio, Homebirth Related Topics
- Gilbert Unified School District, Guest Speaker, Health Occupations, Gilbert Arizona
- Naturopathic School of Medicine Arizona, Guest Speaker, Scottsdale Arizona
- La Leche League Member
- Attachment Parenting International Member
|Copyright 2004-2012 Sunrise Midwifery L.L.C.
All Rights Reserved
Certified Professional Midwife
Midwife Assistant / Apprentice
- Midwife Assistant , Sunrise Midwifery
- Certified Breastfeeding Councler
- Doula's of North America (DONA) Trained Doula
- Childbirth Educator
- Registered Midwifery Student, State of Arizona
- Neonatal Recusitation Certified
- CPR Certified
|There is nothing
more beautiful and powerful
than a woman in labor.
Being present as this new
and trusting baby slips into
our world is a truly
I love being a midwife!